Nunez News

Friday, December 9, 2011

Salt Dough Ornaments

This activity was planned for December 1st but had to be postponed a day due to not having enough salt.

We've done cut out cookies but we've never tried the salt dough ornaments. Yes Domenic even tried to take a bite out of one of the ornaments when it was time to paint them but found out very quickly that they were much too hard.
It was super simple! All you need is 2 cups of flour, 1 cup of salt and 1 cup of water. Once it is all mixed together you kneed it for 5-8 minutes, until it is smooth. You'll be able to tell. It feels really grainy at first and then starts to actually feel like cookie dough.
I rolled the dough out for all three kids on the floured table and they got to choose which cookie cutters to use. Robert thought I rolled them out a bit too thin (worried they might crack) but they seemed to turn out fine and actually puffed up a bit.


We used a tooth pick to do the holes before we baked them for 2 hours at 250 degrees. Just make sure to make the holes bigger then you think you need them. I wanted to be able to use some yarn but I think some of them I need to use embroidery thread because the holes are too small. oops!





Once the ornaments were cool I checked the mail and we used the ads that came that day. I get rid of the ads pretty quickly around here so it was actually a good thing that we got some in the mail that day! We used water color paints to color the first tray while I put the second tray in the oven. Robert helped with the second tray and rolled those out thicker. I ended up baking that tray 3 hours (just to be sure they weren't going to be soft in the middle) and they turned out fine, just heavier.


See the tiny thread hole above the gingerbread man's nose?


I loved watching the kids create from start to finish and it was a simple clean up (always a plus!).


I linked up and today is the last day of the blog party. Go check it out!
 












1 comment:

  1. LOVE it and so will my kids! Thank you so much for sharing! ~Angela

    ReplyDelete