Nunez News

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Pumpkin Bread

Every year we make pumpkin bread with fresh pumpkin. We usually cut up the pumpkin into big chunks, put in a pan with some water and cover with foil. This year I stuck the whole pumpkin in the oven. WAY easier! You probably want to put it in a pan or on a cookie sheet just in case it starts to drip. A few of mine did. Put the whole pumpkin in an oven that is set for 350 degrees and the amount of time that it is in there varies depending on the size. 1-2 hours was what we averaged. You will be able to tell when the pumpkins done, the middle where the stem is will start to sink and the rind will not feel soft but actually get more of a crust type of feel, almost hollow sounding when you tap on it. Once it is done you can grab the stem and if the top comes off very easily you know for sure that the pumpkin is cooked enough. There were a few that I took out of the oven to soon so after I had peeled the pumpkins I stuck them in a big pot with just a little bit of water, covered and steamed on super low. It was a good thing that I had it set so low because I would forget about it until I walked past the pot throughout the day and that is when I would stir.
Let me tell you, baking the pumpkin whole is my new favorite way of cooking pumpkin to puree it. Much safer than trying to cut through the hard rind too. I usually left the cutting up to Robert because I was not a fan. I think it is because I cut myself when I was little with a safety knife while trying to carve my pumpkin. Yep, pretty sure I am scared from that one. ;)
If you are not going to use it all right away it is best to freeze it as fresh pumpkin in the refrigerator goes bad within the week.
Here is the recipe for my pumpkin bread.


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.


Ingredients:
2/3 Cup butter (softened)
2 2/3 Cups sugar (Substitute: 2 cups packed brown sugar and 1 Tablespoon pure maple syrup-might need to bake 5 minutes more)
4 eggs
2 3/4 Cups pureed pumpkin (I just don't scoop as much pumpkin on my 3rd cup)
2/3 Cup water
3 1/3 Cups all purpose flour (use whatever flour you prefer)
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt (I do not add extra salt if I'm already using salted butter)
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves


Directions:
In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt (if using), cinnamon and cloves. Set aside.


In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs. Add the water and pumpkin and mix until well combined. Add the flour mixture and mix well.


Pour batter in pans that have been greased at the bottom.


If you are using mini loaf pans 1 batch will make 7 and you can bake them for about 40 minutes.
If you are using the disposable regular size loaf pans, 1 batch will make 3 loaves and bake for 1 hour.
If you are using the regular size loaf/bread pans it will make 2 loaves and will need to stay in the oven for 1 hour and 10 minutes.


I always check the loaf that was in the middle with a sharp knife. It it comes out clean than the loaves are done!


You will want to let them cool for at least 10-15 minutes before you cut into a loaf.
Our mini pumpkin loaves and pre-measured cookie mixes

I hope you enjoy! Let me know if you make it!

No comments:

Post a Comment