Nunez News

Monday, August 29, 2011

Check out this Creepy Little Guy

Oh... I mean, "this neat little guy!" I try REALLY hard not to get freaked out with bugs. Especially since we started our weekly group nature outings last fall. To tell you the truth, being around insects doesn't bother me nearly as much as it use to. We respect their home and just observe (sometimes touching is involved while mommy holds her breath, unnoticeable) but when they come into our home, they will get squashed. Sorry, no bugs allowed. And now that I'm around them more I feel more comfortable killing them. I use to have the hardest time killing spiders. Nope, I don't usually need to think twice about it now unless it's above my head. 


So the other morning I was picking some tomatoes off of our pear tomato vine and I almost hit my head on this little guy.




I was oh soooo glad we didn't do a head bump... no thanks!


But the kids were right outside with me and I called them over. 

And of course Nathan wanted to touch it. Me telling him to just be gentle.




We left it alone for a few minutes to look up what it was. I got out our field guide and found this little guy to be called the Tobacco Hornworm. Caterpillar large (to 4"), green with white diagonal stripes on sides, large orange horn at rear; common on tomato plants. Season: June-Sept. Range: Central Valley and south.



It had started eating again when we returned. Reminds me of the Predator a bit.


Kiera was a tad disappointed when I told her it was a moth. Her exact words when I showed her the picture of the Sphinx Moth were, "That's not very pretty". Here's what it will look like.



Even with her disappointment it was still neat to watch. 



Haven't seen the little guy the last two days. Not sure what happened to it. Maybe it's in it's cocoon, we'll have to look a little better tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. Great photos of the creepy crawler! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is SOOOOOO cool! I LOVE it! I have found one of those guys before, I caught it and brought it inside. SOOO fun, and your kids are so interested in it! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so neat! My kids would have loved finding him. Impromptu nature study is one of our favorite things. Popping in for the first time : )

    ReplyDelete