Nunez News

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

I Like My Kids

I like spending time with my kids. I like having them around. I get sad when I don't hear their voices. 
I think I just like my kids!


Why do people always want to watch my kids? I know it sounds funny to be complaining about something like this, especially as a stay at home mom who sometimes just needs a moment to go to the bathroom with the door closed or without a little person keeping me "company".


I love family time! I think our home is pretty welcoming, though not always the cleanest. 


Even with people who I totally trust my children to I would rather spend time "together" then send my kids off. My mom has offered to watch the kids for a bit at times because I'm feeling overwhelmed with house cleaning that needs to get done but doesn't seem to be anywhere close to getting done. "No, that's ok", I say, "but you can come over here if you like". Us mutually knowing that having extra arms to hold a needy baby or extra lap for the kids to sit on for some book reading are the kind of help I really need. Maybe it's just a little support, a willing hand to come along side. I can't call my husband up and say, "can you come home now... please!!!" Though I admit I have done that. But usually now I call him up and ask him where something is... "Do you know where Nathan's shoe's might be?" Yes, I have a hard time keeping track of things and I fear Nathan is the same as me in that aspect (I got it from my dad) so he truly doesn't remember where he put his shoes (water bottle, back pack, etc.) though he knows where they're suppose to go.


Back to what I was saying... Sometimes I just need that 15 minutes to do the dishes and I'll feel better about myself. I can feel at times like a failure trying to keep house. I don't want the mess to overwhelm my husband when he gets home from work. Too much going on visually. The kids are a little older now so it's not as hard but those whiny days creep in at times which adds a whole other element to the dirty house disaster.


It's so sad to me that everywhere you look people encourage family separation being totally normal. If the child has separation anxiety it's, "oh don't worry they'll eventually get use to it and it will get easier." Use to it? Easier? Why would I want them getting use to me always leaving them or always having other people take care of them. My oldest is very independent and all of my children are very opinionated and have no problem stating what their opinions are. They know how to run and play with other children. They know how to communicate with adults. D's vocabulary is a bit hard to understand at times but... he's not even 2 yet. :) Why at such a young age would I want them to get use to us being separated? It sounds rather contradictory to me. You have the baby in your body, you wear your baby for at least their first year (it encourages bonding and helps them feel secure) and then once they start walking it's "see ya later! Don't worry you'll get use to this!" hmmm


I know dates with your husband are essential but most of the time we are able to spend a good amount of time just the two of us after the kids go to bed. And yes it's great to have people who you can depend on to watch your kids when you need to attend functions (such as weddings) only for adults. Quality time isn't always alone time. 


This is what I think about at midnight. :)

1 comment: