Nunez News

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Occupation, Character, Qualifications... part 2

Wow I can't believe it has already been a week since my last post. I guess sickness in the family tends to slow us down and make us change directions huh? I've been working on this post for a few days now, our littlest man gets up after he's gone to bed and needs to be cuddled still. :)


It helps me a lot of times in understanding the scriptures when I can talk about them or put them in context of my life. So instead of talking I'm typing since a good amount of people like to sleep at night. :)




Proverbs 31:18 says, "she senses that her gain is good; her lamp does not go out at night."
She works hard to make sure the fruits of her labor are good. NIV "She sees that her dealings are profitable..." Some checkbook balancing there. :)


Verse 19 says, "She stretches out her hands to the distaff, and her hands grasp the spindle." 
This verse I had to ponder. What is distaff? I know what a spindle is. So I looked it up in a different translation. The New Living Translation says, "Her hands are busy spinning thread, her fingers twisting fiber." Does that make more sense? To me it seemed to click. Her hands are not idle. What would be some idle time.... well for me looking at my phone when it's in my view and checking my emails or seeing what's happening on facebook. These do not seem to be important things. I see people close their facebook accounts because they KNOW it is taking way too much of their time. I just need to pray for some major self control because it has gotten to a point where I don't even think about it. My fingers should not be idle. I need to memorize this verse. I don't want my children to have memories of me ALWAYS with a phone in hand or computer on. How sad. My fingers should NOT be idle.


Verse 20 says, "She extends her hand to the poor; and she stretches out her hands to the needy."
Help is what this is saying. If you see someone needing help don't wait for the next person to take care of it, do what you can. The poor. Those in need. Us showing love, Christ's love.


Verse 21 says, "She is not afraid of the snow for her household, for all her household are clothed with scarlet."
I think of this verse in two ways. The first being in the physical sense. This woman doesn't have to worry about bad/cold weather because she knows her children have warm clothes and will be fine. The other way I think about this verse is in the spiritual sense. She doesn't worry about bad weather (trials) because her household is covered by the blood of Jesus Christ and he will always take care of our needs.


Verse 22 says, "She makes coverings for herself; her clothing is fine linen and purple."
She makes her own clothes. She's a crafter, sewer, DIYer. :) The clothing is not shabby or cheap looking. It's fine linen and purple. I remember learning that purple is for royalty. She doesn't have to go out and spend a ton to look nice, she spends what she needs and fits the pieces together.


Verse 23 says, "Her husband is known in the gates, when he sits among the elders of the land."
Her husband is a wise man. I think elders are usually those with more knowledge and experience and wisdom. She does not have to, nor should take on the role as the head of the household, God has already placed her husband there.


Verse 24 says, "She makes linen garments and sells them, and supplies belts to the tradesmen."
She knows what sells and makes that. This might go back to being business minded and also not having idle hands. She sells what she makes TO sell.


Verse 25 says, "Strength and dignity are her clothing, and she smiles at the future."


Strength - comes from God. "Whoever speaks, let him speak, as it were, the utterances of God; whoever serves, let him do so as by the strength which God supplies; so that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom belongs the glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen." 1 Peter 4:11


Dignity - I looked up dignity and this is the first definition that I saw. "Bearing, conduct, or speech indicative of self-respect or appreciation of the formality or gravity of an occasion or situation." Another word I saw was worthiness. In 1 Timothy 2:2 the dignity stated there is seriousness. "for kings and all who are in authority, in order that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and dignity."


I like the last part of the verse where it says she smiles at the future. There is no fear of "what if?" We are not guaranteed another breath but I'm still sitting here, breathing. It's quite amazing actually since there where many times where I couldn't breath. So breathing is something I am thankful for. I have a friend who has cystic fibrosis and she has to take a TON of pills every day and get her lungs "cleaned out" at least once a year. She smiles at the future even though the present might not be fun, we have a hope. Jeremiah 29:11, "'For I know the plans that I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope.'" My friends name is Hope.


Verse 26 says, "She opens her mouth in wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue."
Doesn't sound like backstabbing or gossiping is what a worthy woman should be doing. We need to be careful of hurtful remarks even. To our spouses, to our children to our friends and family. Think, then speak. It reminds me of coaching softball, we'd always say "ball first!" because you can't make a play unless you're holding the ball first. Right? Think first or else you have the potential of really hurting someone. Don't most of us remember either really kind words or really hurtful words? I want kindness to always be on my tongue.


Verse 27 says, "She looks well to the ways of her household, and does not eat the bread of idleness."
So now it's not just my hands, but my whole body too. Whatever you eat affects your whole body. Sugar causes headaches, bread causes bloating, fruits quench your thirst and being dehydrated causes fatigue. She is thinking about how she would like to take care of her family, how to make things flow, what her goals are for her household (this is what I'm working on). Not dawdling or using up time with unimportant venues or with no eternal value (these will be different for everyone). 


Verses 28 & 29 says, " Her children rise up and bless her; her husband also, and he praises her, saying: "Many daughters have done nobly, but you excel them all."
Matthew 25:23 Jesus speaking, "'His master said to him, 'Well done, good and faithful slave; you were faithful with a few things, I will put you in charge of many things; enter into the joy of your master.'" My mom is an awesome lady. I go to her for advice, affirmation, and fellowship. God has given her much wisdom and she is always very giving of herself. In turn because of the relationship her and I share I am able to bless her by sharing my blessings (my children/family) with her.


Verse 30 says, "Charm is deceitful and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord, she shall be praised."
Flattery is, well... annoying, to me. Being real, genuine, and not fake is something that is appreciated and valued.


Verse 31 says, "Give her the product of her hands, and let her works praise her in the gates."
Your heart will show others who you are, from the inside out. What fruit do you produce? Is it love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness or self-control? Do you see your downfalls or slip ups through your children? Oh man! That is so humbling when my child sounds like a mini me and I have to correct them because it's a negative aspect of my fruit. Lord help me because I want my works to sing praises to You!



1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your Bible study. I really like the way you are going through it verse by verse. It is giving me a lot to ponder. I love the two ways you interpret verse 21.

    ReplyDelete