Nunez News

Friday, January 20, 2012

Worth

Just recently I've been inspired to make some changes with my photography business. The very first thing... is to treat it and view it as a business. 


I love the art of photography and being able to use my camera, experiment and capture a shot that makes me smile or laugh out loud or just say "wow!" Photography has always been something that I find intriguing and fun, just like music. I compare the two quite often. Style and feeling. I majored in music education with piano being my instrument (I was not confident enough to have voice as my major) and there were times while watching and listening to someone perform on any instrument would literally make me sleepy. The music was nice, their technique was perfectly fine, they appeared to be having a good time but I could feel that the performer wasn't feelin' it. The piece didn't speak to them so they were not able to translate it to me, basically. Then there were other performers who maybe weren't as showy, maybe they were but they felt the music and the intentions of the composer when the piece was written. Those were the performers I remember and the performances that I could stay awake and was interested in watching and listening to.


I have to admit that I was a very stiff pianist until I graduated. I could play something perfect but I did not show emotion. It was sad really because I bet I made the music quite dull. It was not until my last year that I learned to not be afraid to make mistakes or afraid to show everyone... me. I am a very sensitive and emotional person and I felt like I needed to guard that. I also dealt with/deal with insecurities that make me doubt my self worth. But music just like photography is art. It is me that I am showing others even if the subject is something or someone else. I knew that in my last piano performance I was able to show me because I made my Grandma cry. She use to tell me, "only good pianists make me cry". 


So I am changing things up. Changing my pricing. Changing my website up to look more how I want it. "I feel like I am worth more" is what I told Robert the other morning and he gave me a big smile and said, "I've always thought that." He always thought my pricing was way to low, that I was selling myself short. And then I cried, he said it's the baby, which maybe it is. But how sweet and wonderful of him to patiently wait for me to come to this realization. I started my photography business 4 years ago! I think what made me think about it the most was me getting closer to having another little one. And the time that is taken away from them for my jobs and then the time in the evenings that I could be with my husband cuddling and watching a movie but instead I'm working on photos. I don't want to stop, I don't feel like the Lord is calling me to stop. 


We ask God to help us show Christ's love to other's. That people would see Him in us. My husband blessed me the other day by showing Christ's love and patience with us, with me. There's been many times where He has tried to show me something and I don't get it or ignore it, maybe write it off. But then eventually I get to the "ah ha!" moment, the "Duh! You were trying to show me this so long ago!" moment.


So, I'm excited! I'm excited for this change and to possibly/soon start mentoring someone close to me in this fun art of photography. :) I don't regret starting low, I've learned a lot! A whole lot! Truthfully, I am a major deal seeker and I could not set my prices at a price I, myself was unwilling to pay. But now 4 years later, being a photographer and knowing how much is put into an image let alone a whole session of images, I am more willing to pay for their work, for better work. I can not compete with department store studio coupons and pricing and I'm perfectly fine with that... now. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment