Nunez News

Monday, April 1, 2013

Good Morning Girls Luke Study - Week 4

Week 4 of the first 8 chapters of Luke from the Good Morning Girls study. *My notes*

Monday - Week 4
Scripture

Luke 4:1-13 (Luke 4:4,8,12)

4 Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone.’”

8 Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God and serve him only.’”
12 Jesus answered, “It is said: ‘Do not put the Lord your God to the test.’”

Observations
* Jesus quoted the scriptures each time the devil tempted him.
* The rest of the verse from Deuteronomy 8:3 says, "... man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the Lord."
* Referring back to Deut. 6:16 which says, "Do not put the Lord your God to the test as you did at Massah." Massah was the place that Moses struck the rock and water came out for the people to drink.

Application
What comes to mind when I'm thinking about HOW Jesus responded to the devil is that verse, Thy word I have hidden in my heart, that I might not sin against Thee.

Psalm 119:9-16
ב Beth

9 How can a young person stay on the path of purity?
By living according to your word.
10 I seek you with all my heart;
do not let me stray from your commands.
11 I have hidden your word in my heart
that I might not sin against you.
12 Praise be to you, Lord;
teach me your decrees.
13 With my lips I recount
all the laws that come from your mouth.
14 I rejoice in following your statutes
as one rejoices in great riches.
15 I meditate on your precepts
and consider your ways.
16 I delight in your decrees;
I will not neglect your word.

Verse 13 of Psalm 119 reminds me also HOW Jesus responded to the devil, He recounted God's law. Can't go wrong there.
Jesus was tired and I'm sure ridiculously hungry (anyone else like me get grumpy when they're hungry?) and then the devil shows up. Jesus answers with patience and is very mater of fact. He does not paraphrase the Law, He says it how it is and that is more than good enough, that is perfect.
So, I need to hide God's word in my heart so I can use it, so i can hear it in my head when I am being tempted or going through trials. I want to know His Word so well that when I'm faced with any type of circumstance His Words will be the first thing that comes to mind and they will bring me comfort and peace.
Tuesday-Week 4
Scripture

Luke 4:14-19(Luke 4:18&19)

18 “The Spirit of the Lord is on me,

because he has anointed me
to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners
and recovery of sight for the blind,
to set the oppressed free,
19 to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.”

Observations
* Jesus read the scriptures where it is written in Isaiah; the purpose of His coming, what He's going to do.
* "The year of the Lord's favor." Favor - Gracious kindness, a token of love.

Application

God has appointed all of us to go and "proclaim the good news to the poor." I don't think it's talking about the poor as in financially but the poor in spirit. Those who do not have hope because they do not have a relationship with God through Jesus Christ.
And as it continues, "...freedom to the prisoners... sight to the blind... set the oppressed free..." There are so many people out there, in our neighborhood, in our families, acquaintances, that God described as prisoners. They are held in a prison cell of sin, where they can't get out (unless they give their lives to Christ, then they are free).
And sight to the blind. Think about your life before Christ. Did you know where you were going? Did your vision seem more clear once you were saved?
The oppressed need freedom. They carry such heavy, heavy burdens and are weighed down. They need to be told that God loves them so much and you are never so far gone or so weighed down that God can not lighten your load. He offers His love and forgiveness to all who ask.
Then, "... the Lord's favor." God's favor, gracious kindness, a token of love. Because of His kindness, He gives us Grace. We are saved because of His grace. Jesus' life and presence and purpose on this earth was God's token of love for us.
So share! Proclaim the good news!


Wednesday - Week 4
Scripture
Luke 4:20-30 (Luke 4:24,27)
24 “Truly I tell you,” he continued, “no prophet is accepted in his hometown.
27 And there were many in Israel with leprosy[a] in the time of Elisha the prophet, yet not one of them was cleansed—only Naaman the Syrian.”

Observations
* People don't like other's to point out their flaws or sins.
* Jesus didn't come to just save the people of Israel, he came to save everyone.

Application
"No prophet is accepted in his hometown". There it is. We will be outsiders. People who we know and love who are not saved, will not want to be around us. Our presence, God's presence in us will make them feel uncomfortable. So the next time you feel like someone doesn't like you, it's not you, it's God in you. Maybe this will make you pray for them differently. Maybe it will stop you from feeling frustrated at their attitude toward you (but really toward God). Being a Christian can seem lonely at times, but God will always be there to bring comfort and He is so good to provide what we need at just the right time.
I need to make sure my views, opinions and life don't fit into societies norms or are swayed by "tolerance", I do need to make sure they a line with what God says is right and wrong.

(Verse 27) Maybe the Israelites felt entitlement. Like they should have been healed just because of their heritage. Naaman was a servant of the king of Syria, who the king had requested be healed. So, God wanted to use Naaman's healing to reach the Syrian's. To spread His love to the people that the "chosen" would not even think twice of helping or even think that God would want to help.
God show's us that His love is not small, it's not just for you and me, or just for those who attend church regularly. His loving arms extend to all.

God looks at the heart. 1 Samuel 16: "... People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.”


Thursday - Week 4

Scripture
Luke 4:31-37 (Luke 4:33-35)
33 In the synagogue there was a man possessed by a demon, an impure spirit. He cried out at the top of his voice, 34 “Go away! What do you want with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are—the Holy One of God!”

35 “Be quiet!” Jesus said sternly. “Come out of him!” Then the demon threw the man down before them all and came out without injuring him.

Observations
* A man in the synagogue was possessed by a demon.
* The demon knew who Jesus was "...the Holy One of God!"
* Jesus told the demon to be quiet and ordered him to come out of the man.
* The man was left with no injuries.

Application
The demon's can not deny the truth or the power God.
God has the power to change even the most desperate situations.

When it says that the man was uninjured it makes me draw the conclusion that when people would cast out demons at the time, the demons probably wouldn't leave without a fight. Yet Jesus speaks and the demon left without a fight.
"... greater is He who is in you, then he who is in the world." (1 John 4:4)

I'm encouraged that God is bigger then any trial I am faced with, no matter how hard it gets or how desperate I might feel. I must remember, greater is He.


Friday - Week 4

Scripture
Luke 4:38-44 (Luke 4:32&33)
42 At daybreak, Jesus went out to a solitary place. The people were looking for him and when they came to where he was, they tried to keep him from leaving them. 43 But he said, “I must proclaim the good news of the kingdom of God to the other towns also, because that is why I was sent.”

Observations
* Early in the morning Jesus was trying to have his quiet time with God.
* The people looked for him and when they found him urged him to stay with them.
* Jesus said he must go to proclaim the good news to other towns and that is why he is here.

Application
Jesus needed a break, to be alone, just him and God.
He was not being selfish, because then he went to share in other towns.
This showed me that life is wearing, tiring and draining. I'm not saying take a mini vacation because that's not always possible (due to time or money) but I do think we need to have a quiet time. Away from our phones, away from the computer, away from anything that can distract us from just sitting and being... quiet. Sit and pray. Talk to God.
Notice, it doesn't say how long Jesus was by himself, because really, 5 minutes can do wonders. If you get 30 great! But we do need a time to be quiet, pray and get filled with inspiration from God and a drive to keep going. Jesus said, I have to go do my job, this is what I came to do! If we take the time to be refreshed we will have a renewed desire to keep going. Keep sharing the good news. Keep sharing God's love. Keep leading our little ones to our Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment